Thursday, 18 April 2013

Tiny Thoughts on Goblin Market!

I have had this poem running round my head all day so I thought I should just make a quick little post about it! It is an absolute delight. I'm currently studying it for my Women's Writing and Feminist Theory module, so whilst I could go off on one about theories to do with that I am actually going to just keep this a short little appreciation of its delightfulness. Because it is just such fun to read aloud! It has this wonderful rhythm to it that builds as the poem progresses, but especially in the first listing of the fruit. I like that the rhyme scheme is not regular but mixes it up a bit, it really creates a wonderful tongue-twisting effect that challenges you to get through without stumbling (I am yet to do so...).   The bit that has been stuck circling round my head is obviously "come buy, come buy". There's a playful sneakiness to the poem in that it tricks you into wanting the forbidden fruit. No one can deny that the descriptions of the fruit are mouth-watering, so you find yourself in the same situation as the girls, being tempted to taste it! Also, someone in my seminar pointed out the interesting fact that as you speak the list of fruit out loud your mouth actually mimics the action of eating. So, you are physically tricked into consuming the fruit along with Laura! Sneaky Rossetti...
I know there are so many interpretations of the poem, but that would really fit another post. This was just a quick little expression of my delight, but now I really should get back to actually revising the text for the exam. Exciting times ;)
Do you guys have any poems that get stuck in your head? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know its obvious but the poem about the train (From A Railway Carriage by Robert Louis Stevenson) is a classic example of the rhythm of the spoken poem - in this case being the clickety clack of the train - "Faster than fairies, faster than witches,
    Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches". It was one of the first poems I loved when I was young for just that reason. If poems are fun then they can turn young children into life long lovers of poetry.

    And The Road Through The Wood by Rudyard Kipling - when it goes "They shut the road through the woods
    Seventy years ago.
    Weather and rain have undone it again,
    And now you would never know
    There was once a road through the woods ". We used to walk a lot as a family when I was young and I used to imagine faded old roads in the various woods that we walked in.

    My absolute favourite poem is The Listeners by Walter de la Mere, especially "For he suddenly smote on the door, even
    Louder, and lifted his head:—
    ‘Tell them I came, and no one answered,
    That I kept my word,’ he said.
    Never the least stir made the listeners,
    Though every word he spake
    Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house
    From the one man left awake: "

    Have a look at http://www.poetryfoundation.org for poems or the BBC did a lovely series of The Nations Favourite Poems - on paper and spoken aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great selection! Especially The Listeners, I so absolutely love that one! Last year I had to sit through one of the only lectures I've had that I didn't enjoy because it featured a particularly monotonous rendition of The Road Through The Woods. I don't understand how anyone could read it so stately without giving into the rush of "and weather and rain have undone it again"
      Honourable mention must go to The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes, but particularly Loreena McKennit's song of it.
      Thank you for reminding me of some great poems!

      Delete