Monday, 15 April 2013

What Agatha Christie Means to Me

The first Agatha Christie I read was Evil Under The Sun. One of my most wonderful friends is an avid Christie fan and this is his absolute favourite of her books. He lent it to me and I absolutely loved it! I’ve always been a fan of murder mysteries and I don’t need to tell you that Christie is an absolute master. As it turns out, both my Mum and my Nan are big Christie fans. My mum had a massive collection of her books that she kept at Nan’s and it turns out that for years I’d been walking past the collection every time I visited! It was about three years ago now that I went and raided the collection for a handful to start with. I went off Nan’s recommendation so started off with the classics, Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express etc. Like so many others I found myself loving the unpredictability of the plot; it was always impossible to guess who-dunnit. It was only recently I learnt that Christie used to write the books so that every character had a motive, and then decided at the end who she wanted to be responsible, which explains why I never guess the murderer right! I’d like to say I’ve gotten better at guessing but I could just be lying to myself…

I’ve ended up working my way through quite a chunk of the collection now and have yet to read one I haven’t enjoyed. The one that made the biggest impression on me was And Then There Where None. All of the family were out when I was finishing the book and I was so creeped out that I ended up staying up to 3am because I couldn’t sleep without finishing it. I just desperately needed to know who the murderer was or I wouldn’t be able to sleep! It has become tradition for me to treat myself to an Agatha Christie after I finish my end of term essays. It’s a great way to get my mind out of all of the work and just relax after an intensive bout of essay writing. On a more personal note, Christie’s books have a sentimental value to me now. My Nan passed away about 5 months ago now so I always feel like every time I pick up one of Christie’s books I’m connecting with her again. It’s such a simple thing but it’s nice to have that association, just adds an extra layer to something I enjoy.

Do you guys enjoy Agatha Christie? Any particular favourites? Or are there some other murder mystery writers that you prefer? Do any writers hold a special place in your heart due to being associated with people?

2 comments:

  1. I read all the Agatha Christies when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I like the 3 main detectives: Poirot, Miss Marple, and Hastings. My favourite was Miss Marple due to the way she would say, quite mildly, "Oh Mr Pickles, he always reminds me of Dr Crippen" ... for example ... I mean she would be stating exactly what the ordinary local person in the book was actually like, whilst seeming to be so sweet and a little confused. I must admit I do find myself sometimes saying "Oh, now she is so like...".
    They are short stories which I would read one at a time in between other books. Don't read too many in one go - that would be like pigging on the whole box of chocolates in one go so in the end you're sick of all of them. Chocolates and Agatha Christies need to be savoured as small pieces of perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree with you about not reading too many in one go, U actually find I get slightly paranoid if I do! Suddenly everywhere is a murder plot :P

      Delete