Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Childhood Heroes: Winnie the Pooh

My copy!

First off, big apologies for the lack of activity happening at the moment! I am currently in the middle of exams so as you can expect I am dedicating all my time to that. Any time when I'm not revising is generally spent eating, sleeping and occasionally having days off with the lovely boyfriend. However, seeing as I have just got one out of the way and have a week until the next, I thought I would seize the slightly calmer moment and stick to the biweekly schedule of this series! (Cause I'm all about schedules at the moment...)


Don't lie to me by saying you never played Pooh sticks like this!

Due to the fact that I slightly stressed and busy at the moment, I thought it was only fitting that I should focus on a character whose advice can be especially useful at times like this! I am talking, of course, about my wise friend Winnie the Pooh. Often dismissed as a bear of little brain, he comes out with some extremely wise sayings! Here is a little list to prove my point:
  • "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost"
    Now, a lack of a sense of direction runs in my family. On one memorable visit to Portabello Road with my mum ended with us setting off to meet our friends, power walking up the road to be there on time, only to find out we had gone the wrong way. It is only thanks to a very lovely old lady and a convenient bus that we actually got there anywhere near the time we were supposed to. However, through the many times we have taken rather longer journeys than were initially intended we have always been very aware of where we are. It has always been where the destination is that's the problem...But I feel like these ramblings are what add to the journey! We have explored areas we wouldn't have otherwise discovered, and we have many amusing tales to share with people. I feel like Pooh understands this!
  • "For I am a bear of very little brain, and long words bother me"This relates to a very vital lesson I have learnt in uni. Just because a word sounds fancy, does not mean it is necessary or useful! I am guilty of overcomplicating arguments in my essays by using words that I think mean one thing, but which actually mean something completely different. I've learnt to be careful with my language choices in essays now and always make sure I very clearly know the meanings of words that are key to my arguments.
  • "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them"
    Confession time: when I was about nine I wrote a poem for class called The Dandelion. It was from the dandelion's point of view (of course, what else?) and was lamenting the fact that it was viewed as a weed whereas daisies and pansies were lauded as beautiful flowers. To my perspective, I was highlighting the unfairness of prejudice and judging people on their appearance through the metaphor of flowers. To everyone else, I had a very strong and defensive attitude towards dandelions. Let it never be said that I was not a rebel of the highest order.
  • "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard"
    I feel like I am very blessed to have such lovely friends and family in my life! So if ever I get homesick or miss them while I'm away I try to turn it around and feel happy that I have such wonderful people in my life in the first place.
  • "The things that make me different are the things that make me me"
    Ok so I know that seemingly everyone nowadays is always saying how important it is to be yourself, but that only serves to highlight how important a message that is! It can be very easy to try to fit in with others because being different usually entails putting yourself in situations that are not safe and predictable which can be very scary. But in a way that's the whole point. You can only achieve your fullest potential if you embrace the aspects that make you unique and explore and develop them. Obviously, it is much easier to say these things than actually do them. However, I feel like as I'm getting older I am channelling this message much more than I used to and really enjoying the experiences gained just from being myself and not worrying about how everyone else does things.
  • "Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you do is go where they find you"
    I have a silly relationship with creative writing. I have so many ideas but I'm always far to scared of getting them wrong to actually try and write them. At the same time, I also have the logical knowledge that if I never get the courage to write them then not only will they be wasted, but I'll never improve enough to be adequately able to express them! I have the intention of spending summer changing this view by putting those worries to one side and seeking out ideas and writing them. This blog is actually part of my journey for this. It proves that if I can just sit down and write my thoughts without the pressure of them having to be perfect or beautiful. I can just express myself in a straight forward way and it is very enjoyable. Next step, finishing some stories I started far too long ago!
  • "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you"
    I have this in a tiny frame on my mantlepiece at home and it means a lot to me. My mum gave it to me when I was little, so I thought I would include this in the list just for nostalgia's sake! Because no matter how stressed I get from exams and no matter how 'grown up' I get, I always know my mum is there for me whenever I need her. Which sometimes is all you need to know to get you through!

Another way Pooh proves his wisdom is his suitable esteem for honey.

I also think that Pooh has good focuses in life. He is primarily concerned with food and friendship, which I find I respect in a person! Let me know if you guys have any favourite Winnie the Pooh (or others from the Thousand Acre Wood!) quotes and we can all bask in our love of fictional bears together. Or do you guys have sayings by other people that help you out in times of stress? Hope anyone with exams is doing alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment