Friday, 12 December 2014

Stubborn Love

I shouldn't really be here because I am in a flurry of busyness right now (as in I'm super busy, I haven't just lost my ability to spell and founded a company since we last spoke...) but I just wanted to share a quick song with you all! And then spend way too much time breaking said song down and applying it to fictional characters because that is what my life has become. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more! 


This is just a really lovely cover of Stubborn Love by The Lumineers which popped up on an 8tracks playlist that I've been listening to, but I wanted to share it on here because it just immediately made me think of the sequel to Lucy In Love! Those of you who have read my I Want To Hold Your Hand entries will know that this song is on the playlist I made and it always makes me think of the book anyway but this is even more enhanced by the fact that it's a girl singing because it kind of makes me imagine the girls saying these things to each other. It's similar to what happens when I listen to Brutal Hearts, the song becomes a bit of a duet between the characters, or at least a patchwork of their feelings and emotions. I don't know if this makes sense so I shall give some examples!

"She'll tear a hole in you, the one you can't repair / But I still love her I don't really care"

This just makes me think of Blaine being so hurt and torn by Lucy but not being able to stop loving her. I pretty much spent the entirety of both books really wanting to wrap Blaine in a hug and also bubble wrap so that she would stop getting hurt by things. 

"It's better to feel pain, than nothing at all / The opposite of love's indifference"

This always makes me think of the night when Lucy and Blaine go to the pub with their friends. Things would be so much easier for them if they were indifferent to each other but they just can't be which is why trying to do 'normal' stuff like this results in so much tears and hurt. But the fact that they both get so hurt by each other is proof at how much they still care.


"So pay attention now, I'm standing on your porch screaming out / And I won't leave until you come downstairs"

This isn't founded by any of the actual events in the text but I can just really picture Lucy just stood outside Blaine's window essentially just yelling things about how much she loves her etc, which is ridiculous seeing as they live in the same house so why would she not just let herself in, but apparently my imagination doesn't care about logic!

"And the highway signs say we're close but I don't read those things anymore / I never trusted my own eyes"

They live in the same house and they're so close but so far away from each other. Even though they're so messy and broken they still know each other inside out and aaaaaah I just want them to be happy okay, it's all I want.  

"When we were young oh oh we did enough / When it got cold ooh ooh we bundled up / I can't be told ah ah it can't be done"

Everyone tells Lucy to just let it go and move on which is perfectly fair advice, but I'm kind of glad she refuses to give up on the possibility of them being together again because I just love them. This bit just sort of makes me think of her thinking back over the good times they had and refusing to give in. 

"Keep your head up love"

This is just like my mantra for the both of them. They're both so hurt and broken but in the end they find a way to make it work again which is good because I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't. My track record would suggest crying.

So this has been another day of "Sophie flails over fictional relationships" and now I shall leave and go be productive with my time. FAREWELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment