Tuesday, 13 January 2015

One Day - David Nicholls

This isn't going to be my greatest book review ever because I didn't make very good notes whilst reading this, but I did really enjoy it! So here follows some vague thoughts. Beware, here be spoilers.

I saw the film of this a while ago and didn't remember much about it other than the fact that Anne Hathaway is in it. This meant that rather than reading her as Northern I mostly just had Anne Hathaway saying all of Em's lines. I really liked Em though, she won me over straight away with her long rambly letters to Dex. I think that being someone who has only recently graduated and is trying to figure out what to do with their life made me like Em quite quickly as she was going through a lot of that uncertainty. I absolutely forgot that she died and it was so sudden that it completely took me by surprise. I didn't actually cry (for once) which may have something to do with the fact that there were loads of removal people running around the house at the time so my head wasn't totally in the book at the time.

With Dex I had the same experience that all the characters that loved him also did, where there's a whole period where you're like "I know that at your core you are nice but right now you're being a bit of a dick", which I guess is the point! I like Emma and Dex though. I like the way they fall into their relationship and the way they banter when they're good. I felt like there was a fundamental realism to the book, especially with their relationship. Emma and Dex didn't have a moment where it suddenly all came together and they lived happily ever after. It was difficult and there were lots of moments where it was pretty shit and they fell out and even when they got together finally it still wasn't all smooth sailing. And then it was suddenly over. On the one hand I'm super sad about this, that they couldn't have figured it all out earlier and used their words and communicated how they felt to each other more and maybe had more time together. But then on the other hand, I like that they were always just in each other's lives (apart from those years when they weren't but shush you know what I mean). At their very core they were friends and got on really well and also loved each other romantically as well. I liked this moment: "You're gorgeous, you old hag, and if I could give you just one gift ever for the rest of your life it would be this. Confidence. It would be the gift of confidence. Either that or a scented candle". I think both of these are fine gift ideas!

I liked how this was written and there were loads of moments that made me laugh, like "I will be carrying a white rose and my copy of Howard's End and when I see you I will throw it at your head". Plus on the other end of the spectrum there were moments like this: "sometimes it seems that she can chart her life by what she worries about at 3am".

Also I didn't really like Ian.

So these are my thoughts on One Day! It was a really easy read and I liked it a lot. I also read My True Love Gave To Me this week but that review is going to have to wait until I have internet and a scanner again because I made some slightly pretty reaction pages for it. If you've read this do tell me your thoughts and I can read them next week when I am once again stealing my father's wifi!

No comments:

Post a Comment