Saturday, 24 January 2015

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz

This is the second of my kindle Christmas book haul that I have read! It also happens to be the second Junot Diaz that I've read, and my favourite of the two. I made a book soundtrack for this over here but be warned, it is a little melancholy! There were just great swathes of Oscar's story where he was so intensely lonely so I think that got reflected in the playlist a bit. He just so desperately wants to love and he idolises perfectly normal girls into these almost otherworldly beings which is only ever going to end badly. The line from America just really resonated with me whilst reading this: "I'm empty and aching and I don't know why". Oscar's story is really only one of the threads in this book but it's the one that has stuck with me since I finished this.  

So, here were my ongoing thoughts as I read this:



This is one of those books that I'm really glad I've read because I feel like I've learnt a whole bunch of history that I didn't previously know anything about. I also really liked all of the references that ran throughout; LOTR is referenced a lot but so is a whole bunch of other stuff that I like. It was just a really well written book to be honest and the narration was really engaging. 

This is a bit of a rubbish review because I don't feel like I have a lot to contribute!

No comments:

Post a Comment