Thursday, 1 January 2015

The Invisible Library - Genevieve Cogman

First book review of the new year! Hooray! I hope everyone had a lovely New Year's Eve last night! My friend's family runs the local drama group and every year they throw a New Year's Eve party so I spent the final night of 2014 having drinks with a whole bunch of lovely people, trying to befriend a cat, desperately avoiding karaoke, and generally getting very soppy and telling my friends how much I love them all. The usual really! However, before all of that I was sat in my front room reading as fast as possible in order to get to the end of this book before going out because I was determined to finish it in 2014. As mentioned in this post I got this in the sale and my brief read of the blurb had me very excited. These were my reactions as I read it:





So those were my initial reactions! I think I got a little over excited about this book based off of the blurb and I did thoroughly enjoy it, but I didn't love it. Maybe I shouldn't have had random high expectations! I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for any potential sequels though. (Also, I'm only now registering what a icky phrase that is. Peeled eyes. Ew.)

I liked all of the characters, especially Irene. A lot of weird things happened in this book and I think her snarkiness made it more believable. If she hadn't questioned what was happening I think I would have liked it less because I would have been like "why is no one questioning the existence of cyborg alligators? What is wrong with you people?" and it might have ventured into being weird for the sake of weird territory. Not that I mind weird for the sake of it; it's just her sarcastic comments and acknowledgement of how bizarre everything was made me happier to just go with it all more. I don't know if I'm explaining it well! I've not had a lot of sleep okay, let's just bear with me today.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read though and a good end to my 2014 reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment