Saturday, 24 January 2015

The Kiss of Death - Marcus Sedgwick

You guys, I have SO MANY book reviews for you! Except most of them involve book reaction pages and I am yet to discover where the scanner was packed. So I'm going to investigate whether photographing the pages works or not, the essential point being that I may or may not be about to upload a flurry of reviews. However, the reaction pages for this one were a bit rubbish and I wanted to make sure I uploaded something today so here we are!

The Kiss of Death is the sequel to My Swordhand Is Singing, which I read many many years ago and absolutely loved. If I'm honest, I don't remember a lot about it by now. I know there were vampires and I really liked the final scene but that's about it. Also, I'm pretty sure I leant it to someone who I'm no longer in contact with so it's probably lost forever which is a shame! But anyway, it's all about vampires and a cool sword and probably a bunch of other stuff which I don't remember right now. I bought The Kiss of Death ages ago (back when I still remembered what happened in the first book) and just never got around to reading it, but I'm really trying to work my way through the giant box of books I have to read so I thought I would give it a go!

And to be honest, it was a perfectly decent book really. It's just a slightly gothic YA story about vampires in Venice! I'm really glad it took me so long to read this because it means that I actually know all of the places that they're talking about. I visited Venice this time last year and I really liked it! Sometimes I forget how much I actually liked the place because the circumstances surrounding the holiday weren't great but actually it's really beautiful and interesting. So whenever they mentioned certain specific places I knew exactly where they were talking about, which I liked. It was almost like the city was a secondary character in the novel. 

If I'm honest, this review is a bit rubbish because I don't really have a lot to say about this book. I thought it was perfectly fine. Assuming that past!Sophie's opinion on My Swordhand Is Singing was correct and it is brilliant, then this wasn't as good. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but there also weren't any stand out moments. If you're a fan of Marcus Sedgwick and haven't already read this then I would definitely say it's worth reading, but I don't think it was a particularly necessary sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment