Monday, 2 February 2015

BOOK HAUL Y'ALL

Bonjour mes petits choux-fleurs! It has been so long! Like, a week and a half aka AEONS. 

I have no new reviews for you but I HAVE bought a bunch of books that I didn't need to buy! Yaaaaaaay!


To explain why I bought what I bought:


Two Boys Kissing - David Levithan

If you read my review of My True Love Gave To Me you'll know that I really loved the David Levithan's short story (and also that I spelt his name wrong. Oops.) so I thought I'd try out a proper full length book by him! Apparently this book is amazing so I'm very excited to give it a go! Also, isn't this cover lovely? Seriously, the more I gaze at it, the more I get excitement flutters in my belly. As soon as I finish the book I'm on now I'm going to read this, and hopefully it will be amazing enough to break me out of my rubbish review writing rut. Fingers crossed!


The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

I am a huuuuuuuuge Neil Gaiman fan. I have literally never read anything by him that I haven't loved. Even his short stories which are often just a couple of pages long are incredible (see: A Study in Emerald). I've been wanting to get this for ages and so when I saw it was buy one get one half price I thought "my moment has come!" I'm sure a review shall follow once I've finished it!


The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

I definitely knew that I wanted to get the Gaiman book, but I wasn't particularly inspired by any of the other books in the offer. I was just sort of floating around Waterstones trying to spy any books that were in the offer that I might have missed when I saw this! This is on a list of books that someone recommended to me and I read the back and it sounded interesting, so I decided to go for it.

So although I wasn't supposed to buy myself any books at all, I'm feeling very excited about these three! I think they're all going to be really great.

It's at this point you might be like, "hmm three books. Not exactly a haul is it Sophie". To which I say to you, "AHA!" and then proceed to introduce you to...

*drum roll please*

Sophie's Exciting Box of Books!


Ta-daaaaa! This box is kind of the reason why I wasn't supposed to buy any books in town but hey, I play by my own rules ~can't be tamed~

I've been staying at my dad's this weekend and we were pretty much just freaking out to his girlfriend about how much we loved Tigana when I mentioned that I really want to read more Guy Gavriel Kay. Cue dad running off to go rummage in a cupboard and returning with this. As well as Guy Gavriel Kay, it's also chock full of authors like Roger Zelazny, Philip K Dick, David Gemmel, and Michael Moorcock.

These are all authors who, even though I haven't really read them, shaped my childhood. I read my first Moorcock last year but I grew up hearing all about Elric of Melnibone and listening to Hawkwind songs inspired by them and my room was covered in Rodney Matthews posters. When I finally read the first Elric book, it just felt so familiar. I was finally getting a context for these stories that were referenced in conversation all the time. It's really exciting to have all of these books to work my way through sometime.


So yeah, this has been my haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment