Thursday, 5 February 2015

Time to Talk

So I was hoping that I would have more time to write this post so that I could put some proper effort into it but lack of internet = me stealing all the internet moments I can get so hey, we just have to make do really don't we? I could post this on a different day, but today is the day that the Time to Change are encouraging everyone to take 5 minutes to talk about mental health so it seems fitting to post this now! I didn't know this was a thing when I did my post the other day, but seeing as it is it seems like a good moment to update you all on how my whole educating myself thing is going.

It's only been a couple of days so it's not like I've been able to do an awful lot, but I have been using my lunch breaks at work to watch a bunch of videos by Laura Lejeune. And I think they're great! So that's pretty much what this post is about.

I'm only able to watch them during my lunch break cos watching too many youtube videos on my phone is how I ended up using up all of my internet allowance half way through January, so not gonna make that mistake again! So I've been spending about 40 minutes of my lunch break each day to watch some of her videos. This does mean that I haven't been able to watch the hugest amount of them but so far they seem really great and informative so I'm gonna recommend them anyway.

All of her videos that I've watched so far have been really good, but I particularly like her common misconceptions series. You can probably guess what the essential jist is but I'll explain it anyway just cos I can. She and a bunch of other youtubers explain common misconceptions about different things (e.g. social anxiety, DID, hypochondria etc) and correct them and generally give very informative information. I'll be completely honest, I've only watched a couple so far but I have definitely learnt a lot. I'm pretty sure that I didn't really know what DID was, I think I just lumped it together with schizophrenia, whereas now I know a lot more and also the fact that it is a completely separate thing from schizophrenia. So, yay for battling my own ignorance!

I have a list of a bunch more youtubers that I haven't had the time to check out yet, but maybe when I do I'll make a post on each one? That sounds like a good thing to do. That way we can all watch their videos and learn together. I wish I was able to do a longer post and talk about Time to Change in more detail but I'm getting picked up in a minute so have to shoot off. But I hope this has been informative to someone and again, if you have any recommendations of youtubers who discuss mental health do let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment